Store Policies & FAQs
Payment & Taxes / Layaway / Shipping / Returns / Origin / Condition / Fit / Care / Location & Contact
PAYMENT & TAXES
What payment options do you accept?
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, PayPal, and Apple Pay
- Layaway is available through Lay-Buy Powered by PayPal
Will I have to pay any taxes on my order?
- For orders shipped within the USA to a Missouri address, applicable sales tax will be included at checkout.
For orders shipped outside the US - All local customs duties, VAT, import taxes, tariffs, and fees are strictly the buyer's responsibility. These may be collected upon delivery dependent on your country's specific laws. Do your research and know what you are responsible for paying. Here is a list of links for the various customs authorities in the countries we ship to:
Back to Top
Do you offer Layaway or Laybuy?
- Layaway (a.k.a. Laybuy) is only available when purchasing directly through ThisBlueBird.com.
- Layaway is provided through Lay-Buy by PayPal.
- Please read the information below about how it works and how to set it up during the purchase process.
- You must have a fully verified PayPal account. You absolutely cannot use an un-verified PayPal account.
- 50% is due at the time of purchase, with two additional installments over the following two months, each spaced 30 days apart.
- Installment Due notification invoices will be sent to you via PayPal/Lay-Buy.
- Once the final payment is made, your order will be shipped.
- Once your order has been shipped, you will receive an email from ThisBlueBird with your shipping confirmation and tracking number.
- All sales are final and there are no refunds on canceled layaway items that have not been fully paid for.
- To put your item(s) on layaway follow these steps
- Put all items you will to place on layaway into your cart. Do not mix items that you plan to pay in full today, please place a separate order online.
- When viewing your cart, click CHECKOUT button
- Enter your address information and click CONTINUE button.
- NOTE: You must enter your verified PayPal account email address on this page first, you cannot change the email address later in the process.
- On the payment options screen click LAY-BUY button to choose layaway as the form of payment.
- You will then leave this website and be taken to Lay-Buy site to complete the payment information. Once you have completed the Lay-Buy steps you will be returned to this website.
Back to Top
Where do you ship to?
We ship to the USA, Canada, Caribbean, United Kingdom, European Union, Norway, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, and Japan.
Where do you ship from?
We ship from St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
How quickly will my order be shipped?
- Orders received Monday through Friday by 12:00 Noon CST (Central Standard Time) are usually shipped out on the same day, otherwise they will be shipped on the next business day.
- Occasionally, for large orders or complex items such as wedding dresses, your order may ship out in two or three days.
- Express Shipping orders received by 10:00 AM CST Monday through Friday, will be shipped the same day.
- Express Shipping orders received after 10:00 AM CST, or on Saturdays/Sundays, will be shipped the next business day.
Shipping Exceptions!! - While we strive to maintain prompt order processing year round, occasionally we have a need to pause order processing and shipping if all of the shop staff are traveling out of town at the same time. This is pretty rare. If processing/shipping will be delayed a notice will be shown on the top of each screen in the announcement bar, and on the checkout cart screens. Sorry, but we cannot accommodate Express order delivery times when the shipping is on hold.
How fast will my order arrive after it has been shipped?
Well... assuming there are no major storms in your area, active natural disasters, or other political events happening which may prevent postal delivery, the estimates are:
Within the United States
- Standard Priority Mail shipping (this is the default) will arrive in 2 or 3 business days based on your distance from a USPS hub in a major city.
- Priority Mail Express will arrive in 1 or 2 business days based on your distance from a USPS hub in a major city.
- We have no control over USPS delivery times, eg. we cannot request 2 day vs. 3 day. USPS makes that decision.
Outside of the United States
The following are GENERAL ESTIMATES ONLY. We have no control over a package once it leaves our shop. In our experience, the time can vary wildly depending on the country it is going to, and how fast that country processes incoming packages through Customs.
- Standard First Class International Package Service - This is the default for total package weight under 4 LBS, is estimated to arrive within 15 business days from the date of shipment.
- Priority Mail International Package Service - This is the default for total package weight over 4 LBS, is estimated to arrive within 10 business days from the date of shipment.
- Priority Mail Express International Package Service - Is estimated arrive within 7 business days from the date of shipment.
Average Times by Region
In our experience, the average delivery times for standard International First Class Package Service are:
- Canada - 6-10 business days
- United Kingdom, Norway, and most of the European Union - 12-15 business days
- Other countries in the EU such as Italy, Greece, Romania - 3 to 4 weeks
- Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, and Thailand - 12-15 business days
Why does shipping outside the USA cost so much?
We charge actual postage rates and USPS sets the rate. It is based on size of package and weight. Every year the price of postage goes up and there is nothing we can do about it. We use USPS because it is the least expensive service available. The rate you are shown during checkout is the lowest possible rate to ship the item(s) to your country. Specifically with vintage kimonos, they weigh on average 2 to 4 lbs each when packed.
Will I receive a tracking number for my order?
Within the United States, all orders will have a tracking number. You will receive a shipping confirmation email with the tracking information.
Outside of the United States, all Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express shipments will have a tracking number. You will receive a shipping confirmation email with the tracking information. Most First Class International Package Service shipments will have a tracking number, but it depends on the country it is going to. Please check with the USPS for a currently list of countries where tracking is available on US Mail packages here: http://www.usps.com/eligible-countries.htm
What should I do if my order arrived damaged?
Upon receiving your item, if you notice any damage to the packaging and garment, please contact us immediately with your full name and order #. Do not discard the packaging. Photos of the damage to item and packaging may be required for insurance purposes.
What should I do if my order has not arrived and it is past the time estimate?
Please contact us immediately with your full name and order # so we can look into the situation with USPS.
Back to Top
What is your Return Policy?
- Certain Items are final sale, with no returns or exchanges:
- Vintage Wedding Dresses - this is clearly noted in the product description, please read carefully.
- Gift Cards
- All items in the KIMONO SALE and CLOTHING SALE sections.
- Certain other items will be noted in the product description that they are being priced at a discount and sold as is.
- All requests for return of any other item not listed above, will be reviewed individually. We are absolutely committed to good customer service so please do not hesitate to contact us if you have an issue with your order. We are happy to discuss it and work with you to come to a good solution so you are happy with your experience.
- Please do not automatically return something without contacting us first. We need to collect some information from you, and provide other information to you regarding the return.
- On approved returns, all items must be shipped back within 3 days of receipt, in the same condition in which they were purchased, with all ThisBlueBird tags attached.
- You are responsible for all return shipping fees and insurance. Items that are returned without insurance, and then damaged in shipment, will not be refunded.
- Shipping charges are not refundable.
- Refunds will be processed through the original payment method, after the item has been received in our office.
Can I cancel my order?
Generally, no. Because we ship out most orders the same day or next day, it is usually too late to cancel it. If you need to cancel an order, please contact us as soon as possible after placing the order. If your order has already been shipped, you will have to wait for it to arrive and then contact us to process a return.
Back to Top
Where do you get your vintage garments?
Back to Top
- We source vintage clothing all over the US, and on our travels throughout the world.
- All of the vintage Indian saris used to make our resort wear line, were personally hand picked by us in India.
- The vintage Japanese kimonos, haoris, and michiyukis in the shop are imported directly from Japan. We work with a Japanese family-owned business who hand picks them from places throughout the country.
- All of the sashes that come with some of our kimonos (shown in product photos), are made right here in our studio in St. Louis MO. We use vintage kimono fabric, vintage sari fabric, or other vintage fabrics.
- All of our one-of-a-kind embroidered garments, accessories, and home goods are made here in our studio on a Babylock 10-needle embroidery machine.
What is the condition of your vintage clothes and kimonos? Are they wearable?
- The vast majority of what we sell is fully wearable.
- Please keep in mind, the older the item, generally the more fragile it is.
- Some items may be suitable for light wear only, and some suitable for display only, the product description will indicate this.
- ThisBlueBird™ uses the Vintage Fashion Guild Garment Condition Standards. Each product description will provide details of the condition and indicate a specific level listed here:
- Mint/Perfect - As new, with absolutely no flaws or wear.
- Excellent - Used, with no noticeable flaws.
- Very Good - Used, with minor flaws, no repairs needed.
- Good - Visible wear. Minor flaws and/or optional repairs needed.
- Fair - Numerous flaws, repairs needed, fragile.
- Display or Study - Extensive damage. For display or study only.
- Although much time and effort goes in to taking clear photographs and writing full and accurate descriptions, occasionally we make mistakes. No one, and no vintage garment is 100% perfect.
- Please feel free to ask questions prior to ordering.
Back to Top
How do I know if something will fit me?
- Please pay close attention these measurements and allow enough additional room to feel comfortable when wearing the garment. Keep in mind that if your waist is 28 inches, and the dress waist is 28 inches, it will be "skin tight" on you.
- On Japanese Kimono, Haori and Michiyuki please click here to view the size and fit diagrams of exactly how measurements are taken on these garments.
How do I take my own body measurements?
Please refer to the guidelines below to understand how garment measurements are taken, and how that relates to your own body measurements. Please remember to leave room for ease of movement.
- Bust - Under the arms around the fullest part of the bust. This is not the same as your bra band size.
- Under-bust - Within a few inches under the bust.
- Waist - Between bust and navel, usually at the smallest point of the garment. If the waist has elastic two measurements will be given, the smallest and fully stretched.
- Hips - Approximately 9 inches below the waist measurement point.
- Drop-waist or Low Hip - If a garment has a drop-waist, the hip measurement will be taken where the drop waist seam is.
- Length - Almost always taken from the shoulder to the hem down the front. Occasionally there will be a Front Length and Back Length provided.
- Shoulders Across - From the seam where the sleeve meets the shoulder across back of neck to opposite seam. Please note, on raglan sleeves, there is no shoulder measurement, and it will be difficult to determine if something will fit you. With raglan sleeves, the best fit will be on someone with a very narrow shoulder and upper body size.
- Sleeve Circumference at Upper Arm - On short sleeves, taken at the sleeve cuff opening. On long sleeves taken about 1 inch below the armpit.
- Pants/Shorts Inseam - From seam of crotch to cuff.
- Pants/Shorts Rise - From seam of crotch to waistband
Are the colors on the screen true to life?
All device screens process colors a little differently so we cannot see the same exact color you see. We do our best to take accurate photos and we do color correct photos to get them as close as possible to the true color in our shop. We also describe colors in the product description, if they fall outside the usual range. We do not artificially enhance photos with filters or other effects.
Can I see the item on a real person?
Sorry, but we are usually limited to professional dress forms in a range of sizes. Occasionally we do lifestyle photoshoots with models, but that only covers a tiny percentage of our inventory. We have nearly 1000 items in stock at any given time.
Back to Top
How do I care for my vintage garment?
Vintage Kimonos, Haori, Michiyuki:
- Please use professional dry cleaning only.
- Water is no friend to a vintage kimono!
- Hand washing or soaking in water is **absolutely not recommended**. Doing this almost always cause colors/dyes to run, and potential damage to the silk.
- Never put a vintage kimono in a washing machine or dryer.
- All vintage kimono in this shop have been dry cleaned prior to listing.
- Please remember the kimonos we sell are between 30 and 100 years old. Most will have at least a few small spots on them. Spots and stains this old will almost never come out with cleaning. They are just part of the history or the piece and need to be accepted as is.
All other vintage clothing and accessories:
- For all other vintage clothing in the shop, the care should be based on the age, material, condition, and construction of the garment.
- Some mid-century cottons, and more recent vintage, are suitable for machine washers and dryers, but others are not.
- Professional dry cleaning is highly recommended.
Back to Top
LOCATION AND CONTACT
Do you have a brick and mortar shop?
We do not have a dedicated storefront that is open to the public. A selection of our vintage kimonos, haoris, and home goods are available at:
The Green Shag Market
5733 Manchester Ave.
St Louis, MO 63110
Monday - 11am to 4pm
Wednesday through Sunday - 10am to 5pm.
How can I contact you?
You can reach us by filling out the form on this page.
Back to Top
Last updated: June 1, 2018.