DISCOUNT CODES, PAYMENT, & TAXES
I have a discount code, how do I apply it to my order?
- During checkout there is a box marked Discount Code. Be sure to click or tap the grey arrow button after entering the code to make sure it calculates your savings!
What payment options do you accept?
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and PayPal
Will I have to pay any taxes on my order?
- For orders shipped within the USA to a Missouri address, applicable sales tax will be added during checkout.
- For orders shipped outside the US - All local customs duties, VAT, import taxes, tariffs, and fees are strictly the buyer's responsibility. These may be collected upon delivery dependent on your country's specific laws. Please do your research and learn about the taxes and fees you are responsible for paying when ordering from abroad.
Do you offer Layaway or Laybuy?Sorry, we do not offer layaway service.
Where do you ship to?
We ship to the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, the European Union, the Caribbean, Norway, Switzerland, Australia, and New Zealand.
Where do you ship from?
We ship from St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
How quickly will my order be shipped?
- Orders received Monday through Friday by 12:00 PM CST (Central Standard Time) are usually shipped out on the same day, otherwise they will be shipped on the next business day.
- Occasionally, for large orders or complex items such as wedding dresses, your order may ship out in two or three days.
- Express Shipping orders received by 10:00 AM CST Monday through Friday, will be shipped the same day.
- Express Shipping orders received after 10:00 AM CST, or on Saturdays/Sundays, will be shipped the next business day.
- No orders are shipped on US Federal Holidays.
Shipping Exceptions!! - While we strive to maintain prompt order processing year round, occasionally we have a need to pause order processing and shipping if all of the shop staff are traveling out of town at the same time. This is pretty rare. If processing/shipping will be delayed a notice will be shown on the top of each screen in the announcement bar, and on the checkout cart screens. Sorry, but we cannot accommodate Express order delivery times when the shipping is on hold.
How fast will my order arrive after it has been shipped?
Well... assuming there are no major storms in your area, active natural disasters, or other political events happening which may prevent postal delivery, the estimates are:
Within the United States
- Ground Advantage will usually arrive within 5 to 9 business days.
- Priority Mail shipping will arrive in 3 or 4 business days based on your distance from a USPS hub in a major city.
- Priority Mail Express will arrive in 1 or 2 business days based on your distance from a USPS hub in a major city. Note: Priority Express is not guaranteed by USPS as "overnight service."
Outside of the United States
The following are GENERAL ESTIMATES ONLY. We have no control over a package once it leaves our shop. In our experience, the time can vary wildly depending on the country it is going to, and how fast that country processes incoming packages through Customs.
- Priority Mail International Package Service - This is the default for total package weight over 4 LBS, is estimated to arrive within 10 business days from the date of shipment.
- Priority Mail Express International Package Service - Is estimated arrive within 7 business days from the date of shipment.
What is the shipping cut off for Christmas?
Within the USA - Orders must be placed by 12:00 PM CST on December 15th.
Outside the USA - Orders must be placed by 12:00 PM CST on December 1st.
Average Times by Region
In our experience, the average delivery times for standard International First Class Package Service are:
- Canada - 6-10 business days
- United Kingdom, Norway, most of the European Union, Australia and New Zealand - 12-15 business days
- Certain countries in the EU such as Italy, Greece - 3 to 4 weeks
Why does shipping outside the USA cost so much?
We charge actual postage rates and USPS sets the rate. The rate is calculated during checkout and is based on size and total weight of everything being purchased. Every year the price of postage goes up and there is nothing we can do about it. We use USPS because it is the least expensive service available. The rate you are shown during checkout is the lowest possible rate to ship the item(s) to your country. Specifically with vintage kimonos, they weigh on average 3 to 5 lbs each when packed.
Will I receive a tracking number for my order?
Within the United States, all orders will have a tracking number. You will receive a shipping confirmation email with the tracking information.
Outside of the United States, all Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express shipments will have a tracking number... Although, not all countries will diligently scan packages! Once a package leaves the USA there is no guarantee the receiving postal system will continue to scan it, therefore there are sometimes gaps in the tracking data. Sorry, we have no control over what a given postal service decides to do in this situation.
What should I do if my order arrived damaged?
Upon receiving your item, if you notice any damage to the packaging and garment, please contact us immediately with your full name and order #. Do not discard the packaging. Photos of the damage to item and packaging may be required for insurance purposes.
What should I do if my order has not arrived and it is past the time estimate?
Please contact us immediately with your full name and order # so we can look into the situation with USPS.
What is your Return Policy?
- Certain Items are final sale, with no returns or exchanges:
- Vintage Wedding Dresses - this is clearly noted in the product description, please read carefully.
- All items in the SALE section.
- Certain other items will be noted in the product description that they are being priced at a discount and sold as is.
- All requests for return of any other item not listed above, will be reviewed individually. We are absolutely committed to good customer service so please do not hesitate to contact us if you have an issue with your order. We are happy to discuss it and work with you to come to a good solution so you are happy with your experience.
- Please do not automatically return something without contacting us first. We need to collect some information from you, and provide other information to you regarding the return.
- On approved returns, all items must be shipped back within 7 days of receipt, in the same condition in which they were purchased, with all ThisBlueBird tags attached.
- You are responsible for all return shipping fees and insurance. Items that are returned without insurance, and then damaged in shipment, will not be refunded.
- The original shipping charges, from when the order was sent to you, are not refundable.
- Refunds will be processed through the original payment method, after the item has been received in our office.
Can I cancel my order?
Generally, no. Because we ship out most orders the same day or next day, it is usually too late to cancel it. If you need to cancel an order, please contact us as soon as possible after placing the order. If your order has already been shipped, you will have to wait for it to arrive, and then contact us to process a return back to us.
Where do you get your vintage garments?
- We source vintage clothing all over the US, and on our travels throughout the world.
- All of the vintage Indian saris used to make our resort wear line, were personally hand picked by us in India.
- The vintage Japanese kimonos, haoris, and michiyukis in the shop are imported directly from Japan. We work directly with a Japanese family-owned business in Kyoto, who hand picks them from places throughout the country.
- All of the sashes that come with some of our kimonos (shown in product photos), are made right here in our studio in St. Louis MO, USA. We use vintage kimono fabric, vintage sari fabric, or other vintage fabrics.
- All of our one-of-a-kind embroidered garments, accessories, and home goods are made here in our studio on a Babylock 10-needle embroidery machine.
- All of our printed items are both designed and printed right here in our studio.
What is the condition of your vintage clothes and kimonos? Are they wearable?
- The vast majority of what we sell is fully wearable.
- Please keep in mind, the older the item, generally the more fragile it is.
- Some items may be suitable for light wear only, and some suitable for display only, the product description will indicate this.
- ThisBlueBird™ uses the Vintage Fashion Guild Garment Condition Standards. Each product description will provide details of the condition and indicate a specific level listed here:
- Mint/Perfect - As new, with absolutely no flaws or wear.
- Excellent - Used, with no noticeable flaws.
- Very Good - Used, with minor flaws, no repairs needed.
- Good - Visible wear. Minor flaws and/or optional repairs needed.
- Fair - Numerous flaws, repairs needed, fragile.
- Display or Study - Extensive damage. For display or study only.
- Although much time and effort goes in to taking clear photographs and writing full and accurate descriptions, occasionally we make mistakes. No one, and no vintage garment is 100% perfect.
- Please feel free to ask questions prior to ordering.
How do I know if something will fit me?
- Please pay close attention these measurements and allow enough additional room to feel comfortable when wearing the garment. Keep in mind that if your waist is 28 inches, and the dress waist is 28 inches, it will be "skin tight" on you.
- On Japanese Kimono, Haori and Michiyuki please click here to view the size and fit diagrams of exactly how measurements are taken on these garments.
How do I take my own body measurements?
Please refer to the guidelines below to understand how garment measurements are taken, and how that relates to your own body measurements. Please remember to leave room for ease of movement.
- Bust - Under the arms around the fullest part of the bust. This is not the same as your bra band size.
- Under-bust - Within a few inches under the bust.
- Waist - Between bust and navel, usually at the smallest point of the garment. If the waist has elastic two measurements will be given, the smallest and fully stretched.
- Hips - Approximately 9 inches below the waist measurement point.
- Drop-waist or Low Hip - If a garment has a drop-waist, the hip measurement will be taken where the drop waist seam is.
- Length - Almost always taken from the shoulder to the hem down the front. Occasionally there will be a Front Length and Back Length provided.
- Shoulders Across - From the seam where the sleeve meets the shoulder across back of neck to opposite seam. Please note, on raglan sleeves, there is no shoulder measurement, and it will be difficult to determine if something will fit you. With raglan sleeves, the best fit will be on someone with a very narrow shoulder and upper body size.
- Sleeve Circumference at Upper Arm - On short sleeves, taken at the sleeve cuff opening. On long sleeves taken about 1 inch below the armpit.
- Pants/Shorts Inseam - From seam of crotch to cuff.
- Pants/Shorts Rise - From seam of crotch to waistband
Are the colors on the screen true to life?
All device screens process colors a little differently so we cannot see the same exact color you see. We do our best to take accurate photos and we do color correct photos to get them as close as possible to the true color in our shop. We also describe colors in the product description, if they fall outside the usual range. We do not artificially enhance photos with filters or other effects.
Can I see the item on a real person?
Sorry, but we are usually limited to professional dress forms in a range of sizes. Every few months, we do lifestyle photoshoots, but that only covers a tiny percentage of our inventory. We have nearly 1000 items in stock at any given time.
How do I care for my vintage garment?
Vintage Kimonos, Haori, Michiyuki:
- Please use professional dry cleaning only.
- Water is no friend to a vintage kimono!
- Hand washing or soaking in water is **absolutely not recommended**. Doing this almost always cause colors/dyes to run, and potential damage to the silk.
- Never put a vintage kimono in a washing machine or dryer.
- All vintage kimono in this shop have been dry cleaned prior to listing.
- Please remember the kimonos we sell are between 30 and 100 years old. Most will have at least a few small spots on them. Spots and stains this old will almost never come out with cleaning. They are just part of the history or the piece and need to be accepted as is.
All other vintage clothing and accessories:
- For all other vintage clothing in the shop, the care should be based on the age, material, condition, and construction of the garment.
- Some mid-century cottons, and more recent vintage, are suitable for machine washers and dryers, but others are not.
- Professional dry cleaning is highly recommended.
LOCATION AND CONTACT
Do you have a brick and mortar shop?
We do not have a dedicated storefront that is open to the public. A small selection of our vintage kimonos, haoris, and home goods, which are not available through our website, can be viewed and purchased at:
The Green Shag Market
5733 Manchester Ave.
St Louis, MO 63110
Open Weekends -
Friday / Saturday / Sunday - 10am to 5pm.
How can I contact you?
You can reach us by filling out the form on this page.
Last updated: February 8, 2022.